Whether your dream home is new construction or an existing home, you will want to know what to look for as you begin your home search. You will need a checklist for buying a home to serve as your road map with criteria for buying a home.
Check out the list below and find out how your Coldwell Banker West Shell Sales Associate will help you conduct a home search, negotiate, and close on a new home.
Your Coldwell Banker West Shell Sales Associate will help you with the process of buying a home while representing your best interests throughout the purchase process.
Use the home buyer checklist below to prevent errors and to stay on track:
- Get pre-approved for a mortgage, look into credit report, FICO score, type of mortgage, shop for best rates, and programs. Determine your wants and needs: style of home, size, price, location
- Seek out a Coldwell Banker West Shell Sales Associate Compare the services of different agents and look for good personal chemistry
- Check out the neighborhoods, schools, crime rate, traffic, zoning, and work commutes
- Rely on your Sales Associate's expertise and in-company resources.
- Check the Web for helpful information
- Do the due diligence and research on your property of interest
- Visit or have your agent visit the town or city hall to learn of any zoning changes, liens, easements, or other restrictions.
- Prepare the offer and negotiate
- Have your Sales Associate prepare a property value study and ask the seller if there are any other offers and his motivation for selling, deadlines, etc.
- Conduct the home inspections and other inspections
- Take advantage of the inspection contingencies in your offer and get thorough inspections to eliminate any surprises after you move in to your new home.
- Final negotiations
- Use the inspection report to re-negotiate, if necessary.
- Walk-through inspection prior to closing
- Visit your new home before you sit down at the closing table to make sure everything is as you expect it to be.
You may find that you need to add some steps, based on your special situation, to create a customized home buying checklist for yourself. However, this should serve as a helpful guide as you start on the road to purchasing your dream home.